Once considered one of the “big four” U.S. airlines as well as American, Delta and United, it has been innovative and very successful, becoming the second largest airline in the world in its six-decade history.
Following the launch of the Pitcairn Air Force, which was formed on September 15, 1927, the following year the Postal Service was opened between Brunswick, New Jersey, and Atlanta with the PA-5 Mailwings open captain.
But North American Aviation, a holding company of several young carriers and aircraft manufacturers, acquired the company a year later and, changing its name to Eastern Air Transport, opened the Ford 4-AT Trimotors passenger service to a multi-sector leap from August 18, 1930. Newark to Washington via Camden, Baltimore , Washington and Richmond. The acquisition of the Curtis condor allowed him to continue his route to Atlanta.
Three years after the takeover of Ludington overhead lines, he was able to include the New York-Philadelphia-Washington troika in his system.
The growth of the East, as with many other carriers, was skipped by the Air Mail Act of 1934, which entailed government contracts for private companies to carry mail, while the U.S. Postal Service selected them based on a bid submitted in a tender. with others. Although this prompted the formation of start-up companies to operate airmail routes in the hope of selection, it equally required the separation of the then general co-owner of the manufacturer and the aircraft carrier.
Bypassing the restriction imposed on it as a result of attending a sports conference with Postmaster General Walter Folger Brown, Eastern Air Transport changed its name in 1934 to one by which the entire Eastern Airlines history would be known.
Captain Eddie Rickenbecker, a flying ace of World War I who won a Congressional Medal of Honor, purchased the carrier from a North American aviation holding company for $ 800,000,000 and took the helm, implementing an aircraft modernization program.
Creating his soon-to-be-famous Grand Silver Fleet, he quickly replaced the slow Curtiss Condor biplanes with the all-metal Douglas DC-2, one of which became the first in 1941 at Washington’s new airport, leaving its mark on the expanding East Coastal Network, East, Communications New York-Miami with a wider cabin, the 21st Passenger DC-3 in 1937.
Like many American airlines, whose growth was interrupted by the need for World War II and the requisition of aircraft for military purposes, the East began its own military support flights in 1942, connecting the three states of Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas, spreading its wings to Trinidad, the Caribbean and the Caribbean. eventually formed his Miami-based military transportation division, for which he acquired the Curtiss C-46 Commandos.
The seeds of its pioneer, a three-year-old shuttle in the Northeast, were planted two years later when the Public Aviation Council (CAB) awarded it on the American New York-Boston route.
The technological advances of the 1950s, expressed in terms of range, payload, speed, comfort, and safety, were happening so rapidly that by the time the aircraft was manufactured, its replacement was already on the drawing.
The four-engine DC-4 soon complemented 39 twin-engine DC-3s, and its network today covered Detroit, St. Louis and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The constellation Lckheed L-649, opened in 1947, gave way to the super-constellation L-1049 with a larger capacity, which stood on September 17, 1951 on the route New York – Miami. DC-3s and by the middle of the decade the first DC-7Bs deported eastern liver.
The acquisition of Colonial Airlines allowed access to New York State, New England, Canada, Bermuda and Mexico City.
The project took the form of a four-engine Lockheed L-188 Electra, which was commissioned on January 12, 1959 between New York and Miami, and a purely jet four-engine Douglas DC-8 a year later, soon supplemented by a smaller capacity but higher cruising speed. Boeing 720.
The Orient became the first of four major U.S. aircraft carriers to operate the 727-100 three-jet Whisperliner, particularly on the Philadelphia-Washington-Miami run and the double-leaf DK-9-10.
The famous New York-Boston-Washington hourly air shuttle was launched on April 30, 1961 on an L-188 Electra aircraft, for which he advised, “No need to book. Just point and go.” All sites are with backup aircraft that provide a place for everyone waiting at the scheduled departure time. “
One-day rates on weekdays were $ 69.00 in Boston and $ 42.00 in Washington, and weekend prices on daytime were $ 55.00 for adults and $ 37.00 for children both.
Eventually the boat was operated by DC-9-30, 727-200 and A-300 aircraft.
Having broken the shackles on the East Coast in the late 1960s, it expanded to Seattle and Los Angeles on the West Coast, to Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas with the acquisition of Mackey Airways, and to several Caribbean islands after the acquisition of Caribair.
Transferring the torch to another famous aerospace figure, Captain Eddie Rickenbecker relinquished control to Colonel Frank Bormann, who flew to Earth in Gemini VII in 1966 and two years later the Moon in Apollo VIII.
In 1972, East Lockheed L-1011-1 TriStar became the first American airline to operate the European Airbus Industrie A-300 in 1978, when it ordered 23, and became the launch customer of the Boeing 757-200.
After acquiring Braniff International’s Latin American routes in 1982 and establishing a hub in San Juan, it became the world’s second largest carrier in terms of annual passengers after Aeroflot, establishing hubs in New York, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, San Juan and Tatting slogan “We must earn wings every day.”
But while he may have earned his wings, he didn’t necessarily make a profit to support their rise. Debts for the purchase of aircraft needed for its expansion and labor disputes, demanded in 1986 the purchase of $ 615 million by Texas Air Holdings, which also owned Continental, and “Eastern” became fodder. The planes were sold. Employees were fired. The assets were transferred to Continental. His image deteriorated, especially when he virtually shut down the flight service to cut costs.
Having declared bankruptcy in 1989 and ceased operations two years later, on January 19, disposable “human wings” became Icarus out of deregulation after a flight of six decades.